Adopting a Greyhound
with Crazy For Greyhounds
Upon arrival in Canada, pets are temporarily homed with trained volunteer foster families to ensure the best possible transition from a working professional athlete to a happy & healthy family pet. Foster caregivers carefully assess each dog’s unique personality and character to help match them with their ideal furever family.
What is the adoption process?
- Complete and submit the adoption application and deposit
- Adoption application is reviewed by our Foster and Adoption Coordination Team
- References are checked by a CFGA representative
- A conference call is conducted with you and CFGA representative
- A home visit may be scheduled with our Home Visit Coordination Team if required
- The Foster Coordination Team reviews all current fosters for eligible matches
- Once an eligible match is found, the Foster and Adoption Coordination Team, along with the Home Visit Coordination Team, discuss the match
- If the match is approved, you will be contacted to discuss the eligible match
How long is the adoption process?
To ensure a speedier processing time, please ensure that your application is as thorough as it can be, and that your references are available.
If our Adoption Coordinator volunteers are able to easily reach your references, the preliminary approval can usually be obtained within a week. The second step of the approval process is to narrow down your preferences for your new hound and coordinate a home check.
What if I want to pick my own greyhound?
If you are interested in a specific greyhound, please add that to your adoption application, and our Adoption Coordination Team will take that into consideration.
What standard medical care does CFGA provide before adoption?
- Heartworm test (and treatment if necessary) until negative results achieved
- Tick-borne disease panel and treatment as necessary
- Spay or neuter
- Microchip implanted and registered with the provider
- All vaccinations, including DHLPP, Rabies, and Bordetella
- Deworming and flea/tick preventative
What is covered and included in the adoption fee?
- One greyhound who is as healthy as we can make him or her!
- A full set of medical records for the time that greyhound has been in CFGA’s care.
- Transportation of the greyhound from their racing kennel to CFGA’s care.
- Rabies certificate and tag.
- A printout of his or her pedigree and racing record if applicable.
- Microchip number and tag, and registration with the provider.
- Martingale collar, 6′ leash, and a basket muzzle.
- Post-adoption follow-up support.
- Greyhound-related information packet.
How much is the adoption fee?
If I have adopted from CFGA before, do I need to fill out the application form?
In What areas will CFGA facilitate an adoption?
What if things don't work out?
If after having exhausted all other options you are unable to keep the greyhound, it may not be sold, relinquished or taken to any other person or organization, including a humane society or shelter, without first discussing this with CFGA.
current & Upcoming adoptables
CFGA uses all available information on both dog and adopter(s) to create the best possible matches.